The National Press Foundation is seeking a President and COO who is a proven leader with an innovative vision for training and education for professional journalists in the United States and across the globe. The president thinks dynamically about the changing nature of journalism and is responsible for the overall direction and strategic priorities of the Foundation. The president oversees the day-to-day activities of the Foundation, including fundraising, training programs, management of staff and budget, and is the liaison with the Board of Directors. This individual is the primary public representative of the Foundation.
Ten years minimum of journalism experience, preferably at a national publication and at least some experience in a management role. Some Washington experience and active participation in journalism organizations preferred. Experience in fundraising and donor recruitment as well as organizational budget management is required. Knowledge and use of new digital tools and social media, as well as familiarity with all types of news formats and presentation, is necessary. Commitment to diversity and inclusion a must. Some domestic and international travel required.
Specific job duties:
• Primary responsibility for fundraising to support NPF training and education programs, including development of new sources of support. The President will engage in fundraising with non-profits, foundations, corporations, individuals, and other entities.
• Oversight of all NPF training programs for professional journalists. These include multi-day fellowships, webinars and workshops in Washington, across the United States and abroad.
• Production of distance learning curriculum, including writing short stories and blog posts; conducting video Q&As; and hosting webinars and video tutorials.
• Responsibility for administering 11 journalism awards.
• Oversight of annual journalism awards dinner, which draws 1,000 attendees, including coordination of award winners and event planning.
• Hiring and management of a full-time staff of five, a rotating staff of interns, and project-oriented consultants as needed.
• Working closely with 20-plus person volunteer Board of Directors.
• Conducting outreach to peer foundations and program partners at the state, national and international level.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter. Deadline to apply Aug. 16, 2019. Email to: email@example.com