NPF seeks a director of operations with extensive experience in finance, board management, grant proposals and human resources, and a passion for the First Amendment. A successful candidate will be detail-focused while able to consider the mission of the foundation in all decision-making. The director of operations reports directly to, and works closely with, the president and COO of the foundation.
Finance, Office Management & Development
- Create and track budgets for foundation operations and each training
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the president and coordinate quarterly reports for board members
- Maintain proper accounting procedures and work with outside bookkeeper
- Manage annual audit and tax filings
- Write budgets for grant proposals and maintain funder portals
- Assist with development research
- Manage all vendors, including building office management
- Maintain supplies and office equipment
NPF Awards Dinner & NPF Board
- Work with NPF board of directors, coordinate all materials, communications and logistics for quarterly meetings
- Manage logistics for NPF’s annual awards dinner. Work with the NPF dinner committee and president to attract sponsorships for the annual fundraising event, communicate with sponsors and attendees, and coordinate with outside event planner.
- Maintain a database of awards dinner sponsors and sales
- Lead recruitment process for all new hires and onboard
- Recruit and oversee interns
- Ensure accurate and timely payroll
- Manage all benefits and benefits vendors
- Lead various projects as needed for foundation. Past projects have included website redesign and moving file storage to cloud-based operations.
- Manage rental of NPF’s in-house broadcast studio
Requirements and Desired Qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of professional experience in related area
- Experience with and understanding of non-profit finances and strategic planning
- Superior organizational skills
- Self-directed problem-solver with the ability to design and establish efficient procedures
- Experience planning and managing events
- Sound judgment
- Knowledge of Filemaker Pro a plus
- Journalism industry experience a plus
This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The director of operations may work remotely through Q2 2021 and then, when safe, in NPF’s Washington, D.C. office. NPF provides a generous benefits package, including full health benefits, FSA, a transportation benefit and a 7% retirement contribution.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
NPF is an equal opportunity employer. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. NPF is committed to a diverse workplace where all employees can thrive.