No vertical video!
That was the first of many useful tips for journalists on recording video with a mobile device, offered up during a program devoted to multimedia.
Here are others:
- Put the light source behind you, NOT behind your subject.
- The subject should comprise about a third of the frame, on the left or right- NOT in the middle.
- Put your device about an arm's length from the subject to capture the best possible audio.
- Stand to the side, so that when your subject looks at you, he or she appears to be looking into the empty part of the frame.
- Set your phone to airplane mode to preclude interruptions.
- Ask the subject to spell his or her name on camera, with title.
- Clear as much phone memory as possible in advance. Keep interviews short.